Wicked Long Day and Post

Last night I got home rather late and this morning I got up early.  It was hard to get out of bed this morning.  I did though. I was only about 30 minutes later to the SCA event, Coronation, than I wanted to be. I wanted to be early, and was just about on time.  Keziah hasn't been feeling well and decided to stay home rather than possibly get others sick too.  Here are some special moments from today:

  • At different points throughout the day I asked for random bits of help from people.  Mostly things like, “Can you carry this for me?”  There was always someone there.  Sometimes the question is asked, and there is just no person available to lend a hand.  Today, I saw many helpers and this was good.

Background:  What generally happens at a Coronation is the outgoing Majesties hold their final court.  It usually consists of lots of thank yous and jobs well done.  At the end there is a ceremony in which the Prince and Princess come in, oaths are sworn, and the change of hats happens and we have a new set of Royals. The former ones walk away and the new set step up to the throne.  They usually get some staff and guards and then adjourn for a few hours.  A few hours later there is another court with Their new Majesties.  There are awards given, possibly a Baronial Court, maybe some shtick. 

  • One of the first things I did at the event was to pay a quick visit to the outgoing Royal Majesties.  Keziah and I were not able to attend their Coronation so we hadn't given them a gift.  One of the things that we tend to give are stones.  It is in the Barony of Stonemarche Charter that we can choose to give rocks to the incoming Royals at Coronation.  Usually I find small pretty stones in the yard and wash them up.  Today I found the stones that I painted during the shutdown and used in the flowers I planted by the street.  I chose to give the rock that says Dream on it to His Majesty and the one that says Inspire on it to His Majesty's Consort.


  • The highlight of this final court was when His Majesty's Consort became engaged to his boyfriend.  His Majesty created the scroll with a poem on it for His Consort and the entire process was lovely.


  • They ended their final court inviting Their Highnesses in, the oaths were done, and our new Majesties ascended the thrones. This ceremony was done in the round theater style.  It was nice that way.  I think more people could see what was happening.  







  • My friend, Anastasia, came to the event.  We sat together for the morning court since I wasn't up on the dias.  I sat with her and other friends during lunch.  Stephanie came and offered to retain for me during the afternoon court.  It was nice to have a dedicated person retaining for me.
  • Afternoon Court went well.  I gave awards to two deserving members of the Barony.  I was able to wish the Barony a happy birthday. 
  • The people who helped sew the garb for Their (new) Majesties were awarded a gift and made seamstresses to the crown.  As one of those people I was given a gift with a group of lovely individuals.  We were given a lovely pin case with glass pins that I have yet to really look at.
  • Their former Majesties were given new titles and became a Duke and an Earl.  Dukes have reigned more than once–in this case he had reigned two times in a different Kingdom and now, two times in the East.  This was the first time His Consort had been on the throne so he became an Earl.  The consorts might also become members of the Order of the Rose.  There was a very touching ceremony and he also became a Rose.







  • A good friend was entered into the Order of the Pelican.

  • At this time I have fallen asleep multiple times while trying to write down all the wonderful things.  I will end this by saying that I was one of the last people to leave the site, trying to make sure everything and everyone was out of the building.  So many people worked hard to make this beautiful event happen and I am thankful for every one of them. It was good to see so many familiar faces and see the six potential next Stonemarche Baronages in attendance.   
It was such a lovely and busy day.  I know I forgot things.  There was again no time for Inktober.   I hope you have a marvelous day.  

                                       

Currently listening to: The Silmarillion, by J. R. R. Tolkien. 

Thank you for being part of my happy things. Stay safe.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy 2024-Ice

Wow, Long and PICTURES

North Country